The Last Rubber Chicken in Ballard

The Last Rubber Chicken In Ballard

After 10-1/2 years, at 3:37 p.m., on May 31, 2009, the last Rubber Chicken at the Ballard Archie McPhee store was photographed, tagged and taken away.

the Devil moves to Wallingford

The floors were swept, the cornucopia of stuff hanging from the ceiling taken down and the giant devil head transported eastward in the back of a pickup truck beneath strangely sunny skies.

The Roman gladiator, our guardian, was carefully moved and the private museum of bad art (paintings of big-eyed children and garage sale macrame) that decorated the employee bathroom was dismantled and put in storage, pending final negotiations for transfer to the Smithsonian.

Computers unplugged, phones disconnected and final readings for power, gas and water were made.

At 3:37 p.m. I said, “Shut her down, Shana.” Click, click, click, went the lights for the last time. And it was done. Darkness comes to Ballard. And we are gone.

Thanks to all our loyal friends and fans and the Jacobsen family, for letting us be our eccentric selves on the west end of NW Market St. the past 10-1/2 years — seven days a week, seeing people come in grumpy or stressed and seeing most people leave happy. It is what we do here, our simple purpose in a crazy world.

Thanks to all for spending some of your hard earned money with us, for getting our jokes and giving us meaning in our lives!

Now it’s on to Wallingford and a new saga starting at 9 a.m. Monday morning!

Mark

Archie neon sign comes down

Click here to take a look at our new Wallingford location.

5 Comments

1. Laurel
    Posted May 31, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Wow, the end of an era.

I guess it’s fitting that today, after 6 years, I finally took down my “Free Ballard” bumper sticker.

I’ve had it hanging on my bedroom door ever since I moved to New York City in the fall of 2003. For all that time, it’s been there, reminding me of Archie McPhee’s all the way back in Ballard. For all that time, I’ve had the pleasure of trying to explain the sticker’s meaning to the foolish New Yorkers who just don’t understand. For all that time, it’s brought a smile to my face, knowing that I was helping to fight the silly fight.

Unfortunately, I now must leave this apartment, so the “Free Ballard” sticker came down. But I can at least take solace in the fact that I gave up the fight for a liberated Ballard on the same day that Archie McPhee fled for new environs.

Sorry Ballard!

2. Posted June 1, 2009 at 5:43 am | Permalink

good morning archie mcphee! i hope opening day goes stupendously well, i also hope that “the private museum of bad art” will at sometime find a public place to be displayed in the new store (you just can’t tease me like that).

3. Posted June 1, 2009 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Were I more the ‘handy man’ type person, I’d have offered to come in, tear up some of the concrete floor, put the rubber chicken in the hole and re-concrete the floor, just so a little bit of Archie stays…

So, one must ask, did you leave anything hidden?

4. Posted June 1, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

You’re wrong, Mr McPhee: I live in Ballard and I have a rubber chicken in a Place of Honor at home (next to my Pig Catapult and right under my green “Accounting” banner). Of all the well known retail stores in which I have shopped – Bon Marche, Fireworks, Needless Markup (Neiman Marcus), Claire’s, etc, etc – Archie McPhee’s is far and away the best. While Wallingford isn’t Ballard, it’s close enough. See you there soon.

5. Maika
    Posted June 1, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

That chicken is clearly exhausted after all the packing, moving, and sweeping.

Thanks Ballard! It was unforgettable.
    I look forward to seeing what Wallingford has in store for us. Day 1 has been a fun and lively indication of lots of good times to come.

One Trackback

1. By Archie McPhee Moves To Wallingford on June 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm

[...] novelty and toy store Archie McPhee has relocated to a new store in the Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle. Here are some photos of the new store and a history of [...]